FAQ & Traveling Tips
Tourists in Tanzania
Tanzania is a safe country. In fact, it’s one of the safest African countries , both for locals and tourists. Tanzania is currently ranked second peaceful country in East Africa on the Global Peace Index
Safari Packing List
If this is your first time in Tanzania or your first time on safari, the following list will help to plan well and be comfortable during your adventure. If you do forget a few things, don’t worry, you can pick up most everyday items in town before you leave.
- Valid passport
- Yellow fever vaccination records/ certificate.
- Tanzania visa, available at airport upon arrival, USD $100 payable in cash only for US citizens or USD $50 for residents of UK/European Union and most other countries
- Copy of travel and/or medical evacuation insurance.
- Credit card (Visa and MasterCard are most widely accepted).
- Cash in U.S. Dollars is possible but you can get a Tanzanian shillings here as well.
Remember, it’s casual event, no dressing code, so be a bit more practical when choosing your safari wardrobe. Try to stay away from bright colors – khaki and other neutral colors tend to work well. It is probably best if you dress in layers to be compatible to weather variation from morning, afternoon and evening.
- Sweater or fleece pullover to keep warm
- Sturdy boots or sandals
- Sun hat
- Sun glasses
- T-shirts or polo shirts (2-5 depending on how often you want to change)
- Long sleeve shirts (light weight)
- Long trousers
- Travel towel
- Thermal underwear, gloves and warm hat (during May – Sept)
- Rain coat and rain trousers (During rainy season Mar – May and Oct – Dec)
- Camera and memory cards
- Hand sanitizer and wet wipes
- Insect Repellent / our guide might have for you
- Personal toiletries (soap, shampoo, toothbrush, eye drops etc)
- Flashlight or headlamp
- Chargers and extra batteries for your camera, phone etc
- Power adapter to fit the UK style electrical socket
- Bring soft luggage such as a duffel bag, hiking pack or sports bag. These are ideal for packing into a safari vehicle. Hard suitcases can often be difficult to fit into the vehicles.
- Bring a backpack to carry all of your important items including travel documents, money, camera, medication etc. You should keep this backpack with you at all times.
- Keep luxury items such as hair dryers/ straighteners, expensive jewelry, make up and bulky toiletries to an absolute minimum. If in doubt, leave them out.
- If you plan to bring cash, divide it into different areas of your carry-on luggage, wallet and money belt just in case something happens to one of those carry items.
- Tanzania is one of the world tourism top destination, Kilimanjaro Mountain, Ngorongoro crater and Serengeti National Park found in Tanzania. Tanzania is the best country for an authentic African safari. The country is home to two of the most well-known and amazing places for wildlife viewing – Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti National Park.
- Expect mixed bag of bumpy and tarmac roads. The roads inside the parks are unpaved consisting of dirt and rock, as are many of the roads between the parks. In other words, be ready for bumpy rides day in and day out while on your safari. The constant bouncing around in your car seat is jokingly referred to as an “African massage.” getting out of the park expect standard African road paved, comfortable drive while exploring African nature.
- Safaris are not dangerous. In the national park you are required to listen to your guide, if you get out of the car in unauthorized place, you will be endangering your life.
- Safari guides are experts at finding animals. Relying, expressing your interests to your guide and listening to your guide will lead into lifetime experience.
- You will see lots of animals, but maybe not every type of animal. At unexpected situation you may end up missing some animal of your interests but very rare that is why 5 days safari is recommended to target all moments in the Park and different parks but also telling your guide your interests is highly recommended.
- The guide is the driver. You make the calls. Remember that the safari guide is there for you all our safaris are private. Therefore, you decide what kind of animals to look for and once you find them, how long to observe them.
- You can observe from the top of the Parks. If you are looking for more adventure, add a hot air balloon ride to your travel plans
- Tented camps are pretty cool and plenty comfortable. Safari accommodations consist of standard lodges and the more rustic tented camps. Standard lodges are typical hotels we have all been to before. Tented camps, on the other hand, are large canvas tents set on top of a solid base. Despite of its look as a too primitive, actually they are too comfortable.
- No need of any special gear.
- For awesome photographs, bring a good lens. While at safari we can organize our cameraman to handle the photo and some small clips for your lifetime experience, this is highly recommended for together memory.
Basically, in terms of safety, Tanzania safe country and provided that In-Africa Stay will be hosting you in a preapproved hotels and most likely guided walk around this enhances the security of our clients. just have a small bag for your daily usage cash and other documents which you may be required to walk with them around but nothing more in terms preparation.
I am item content. CA small bag for you to put your cash and some documents which you will be required to walk with them around.
Tanzania has got ATMs and bureau de change, so is not must to come with bulk cash upon your arrivals. Tanzania are so humble and very welcoming, also you can do some little shopping in Tanzania of your interests while on safari.
Tanzania being one of the safest country and most of your trips being guided and well preapproved for your safety, nothing needed for your safety, only a small bag to keep your cash and some necessary documents while moving around is the good idea.
while on your trip in Tanzania, just have a good lens and little bag for your cash as at some point you may need to pay for some presents, personal use stuffs and for away photo taking as you wont get out of the car while doing game drive.
You can do some missing items or supplements for your safari on the way. Also you can get your safari organized upon your arrival depending on the accommodations availability especially in the national park.